2012/02/18

Going to the Movies!


Adding movies to the nabi Tablet seems to be one of the larger growing interests on the Facebook page.  The information provided below is given simply to educate parents on the subject. 

First backing up or ripping of your personal DVDs to another electronic format is illegal, as a result of the 1998 Digital Millennium Copy Right Act.  This law goes against the rights of consumer's Fair Use protection and what has been previously ruled in regard to the older Audio Home Recording Act of 1992.  The circumventing of a manufacturer's Digital Rights Management protection appears to be universally frowned upon by most governments and the Motion Picture Association of America.  Please take this into consideration when reading the rest of this post.

While the nabi Tablet provides the FoozKids Videos with access to an assortment of predefined and customizable kid-friendly YouTube videos; WiFi access is required.  On a long road trip you can only count on Angry Birds to hold your child's attention for so long.  Sure tethering the nabi Tablet to your smartphone may be an option, but unless you have an unlimited data plan, this could be expensive.  

An assortment of your Home Videos may do the trick.  In this case, you can simply copy the AVI formatted files to your Micro SD card and the Gallery app will play them.  That will probably keep your child entertained for a half hour or so; unless of course you're one of the families that is constantly submitting to AFHV.

On the other hand, if you have a number of DVDs that your children enjoy, you may want to make some of your investment portable by backing it up to an electronic file format that an Android Tablet can view.  This is where the small investment in a large and fast Micro SD Card becomes worth it.

While some parents on the Facebook community have posted freeware applications that can bypass DRM protections and convert from DVD to the MP4 format, none of these are generally associated with each other or come in an all-in-one application.  One of the issues that can arise with freeware is that the developer stops upgrading their program on a regular basis.  With new DVDs releasing every Tuesday introducing the latest DRM protections developed by the industry, it may be important to choose something that is constantly being upgraded.

One application that can convert the latest commercially released DVDs with DRM protection direct to a supported digital file format is IDEAL DVD to MP4 Converter.  A lifetime license key is currently on sale for $30.00 (regular $35.00) which provides you with the latest decryption software updates.  An added bonus is that the fully functional trial version is capable of converting up to 10 DVDs at no cost.

Below are the basic steps required to use IDEAL DVD to MP4 Converter, after you've downloaded the trial version and installed it selecting all of the defaults.

1. Put your DVD into your Windows computer.
2. Launch IDEAL DVD to MP4 Converter.
3. Dismiss the Registration window.
3. Check the Title that you'd like to converter.  Generally this will be the option with the largest time in square brackets.
4. Enter the desired Filename for the converted file or accept the default.
5. Choose the location where you'd like the converted file saved.  

NOTE: You can save the file directly to your Micro SD Card.  This will probably take a bit longer than saving the file to your hard drive, but it will save having to move the file later.  A Class 10 Micro SD Card is recommended for this method.

6. You can change the default MP4 Profile to one of the many choices available in the pull down list or create your own by selecting the Configuration button.  I'd recommend sticking with the default MP4 settings for now.  You can play around with the settings on future rips, once you see how the first conversion turns out.  Increasing or decreasing the quality and resolution settings will respectively increase or decrease the size and time to generate the file.
7.  There are other settings for the program that you may also choose to change.  Especially if you're doing this late in the evening.
8. Click the Rip button, once you have everything setup the way you want it.
9. The time it takes to backup a DVD will be dependent on several other factors including: other programs running, Windows OS, amount of RAM, Processor speed, DVD drive speed,  and where the file is being stored.
10. Once the conversion has completed, if necessary, copy the MP4 file to your Micro SD card and put it in the nabi Tablet.
11.  Launch the Gallery app and your video will display as one of the possible choices.

NOTE:  IDEAL DVD to MP4 Converter will remember all of your settings from the previous backup, so if you were happy with the results all you'll really need to do is insert another DVD, launch the application, select your desired title and click the Rip button. 

I'd request that if you have any other software recommendations for the community that you leave a comment below.

As a cool alternative to the default Gallery, I'd highly recommend Movie Gallery Free available in the Android Market.  The only real difference between the paid and free app is that the free version limits the display to up to 10 movies in 5 folders.



The creators of Movie Gallery, Tools4Movies, also offer an all-in-one DVD to MP4 conversion application called DVD Catalyst which is currently on sale for $10.00 (Regular $20.00).  They've provided the community with how to instructions from inserting the DVD to viewing the video on the nabi Tablet.

March 13, 2012 UPDATE: Check out Going to the Movies - The Sequel! for steps on how to install, rent, view and download movies using Google Play Movies (formerly Google's Videos app).

26 comments:

Is MP4 the only format that will play in the Nabi 2?? I tried AVI MPEG and WMV and none seem to work

FAQs: What media files are compatible with nabi?

nabi is compatible with the following file formats:

Audio: AAC LC/LTP, HE-AACv1 (ACC+), HE-AACv2 (enhanced AAC+), FLAC, MP3, MIDI, Vorbis and PCM/WAVE.

Image: JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP.

Video: H.263, H.264 AVC and MPEG-4 SP.

Did you create these files yourself or download them? I've had the most success with MP4s.

I am trying to put a DVD onto my Nabi2 using DVD catalyst. For some reason no matter how I do it, the video always shows up too small. Is there a way to make the video full screen on my Nabi2?

1. I installed Amazon App Store.
2. Then I downloaded a free 3rd party app: BSPlayer Lite (see link below); of course installing this is at your own risk since it's a 3rd party app
3. I have not found a movie in my collection that the BSPlayer app couldn't play correctly (video and sound).
4. Good luck, hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/BSMedia-BSPlayer-Lite/dp/B008D397CI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Walmart converted movies for me for 2 bucks, Ty worked great

What? How does that work? Did you take the actual DVD to Walmart and they converted it to a MP4 file for you?

I think the Walmart $2 conversion is their Vudu Disc-to-Digital program. I haven't tried it yet, because there is no Vudu app for Android. However, D-to-D uses the Ultraviolet movie locker system and the digital files may be accessible with the Flixster app (depends on studio permissions). Anyone here have experience with it?

Need help please...used Ideal DVD to MP4 Converter on some of my kid's DVDs. Program worked great. Problem is not when I put Micro SC Card in and go to gallery and try to play the videos, I get the message "Cannot play video - Sorry this video cannot be played". Two of the nine play sometimmes but don't know what is wrong with the others. Tried the Movie Gallery app and it worked for a few days then went black. Going on plane in two days and won't have any movies for my son to watch on his Nabi.

"racy says: December 21, 2012 3:52:00 AM EST Reply
Need help please...used Ideal DVD to MP4 Converter on some of my kid's DVDs. Program worked great. Problem is not when I put Micro SC Card in and go to gallery and try to play the videos, I get the message "Cannot play video - Sorry this video cannot be played". Two of the nine play sometimmes but don't know what is wrong with the others. Tried the Movie Gallery app and it worked for a few days then went black. Going on plane in two days and won't have any movies for my son to watch on his Nabi."

Very odd for everything you mentioned. I'm going to recommend that you install MX Player from the Amazon Appstore. There is way to connect this to the MovieGallery too.
http://www.amazon.com/MX-Technologies-Player/dp/B008K6DU4Y

Please follow up through my Facebook page through a comment or message, so that we can get this working for you. You can connect to my page by clicking on the Facebook link up at the top of the page.

I'm not the most tech saavy person, but is there a reason why I would have to do all this if I have the Digital copy? Or can I simplify all this by using the digitial copy?? Thank you :)

"Anonymous says: December 23, 2012 9:21:00 AM EST Reply
I'm not the most tech saavy person, but is there a reason why I would have to do all this if I have the Digital copy? Or can I simplify all this by using the digitial copy?? Thank you :)"

Digital Copies are an industry scam, which only allow the files they provide to be played on certain devices in certain players. Converting a DVD to MP4 allows the file to be played on any device.

Has anyone used both Ideal DVD to MP4 Converter and DVD Catalyst 4? I'm curious which you prefer. I would like to use the conversions on more devices than just the Nabi 2. We have several different tablets, phones and computers. I noticed with the DVD Catalyst you need to chose what device the videos will be played on. Will I be able to set it for Nabi and still play the videos on other devices? Thanks

I just started using DVD Catalyst 4 and so far it has worked great. Very simple to use. There are profiles for just about all the devices out there.

"Anonymous says: December 27, 2012 4:58:00 PM EST Reply
Has anyone used both Ideal DVD to MP4 Converter and DVD Catalyst 4? I'm curious which you prefer. I would like to use the conversions on more devices than just the Nabi 2. We have several different tablets, phones and computers. I noticed with the DVD Catalyst you need to chose what device the videos will be played on. Will I be able to set it for Nabi and still play the videos on other devices? Thanks"

Settings for devices are based on their screen size, resolution, etc. Using lower settings for phones for example allows the file size to be smaller.

I'd personally use DVD Catalyst.

What about purchasing the digital download from Amazon, would that work? I really don't have time to convert and trouble shoot looking for something fast and easy.

"Anonymous says: December 28, 2012 10:35:00 PM EST Reply
What about purchasing the digital download from Amazon, would that work? I really don't have time to convert and trouble shoot looking for something fast and easy."

NO. Amazon has not release the Instant Video app for Android devices, other than their own.

Can I take the digital copy of a movie/tv shows that I bought on Itunes in Mpeg-4 video file format and put it on the nabi?

Sorry if this questions was already asked but I am a bit lost.

"Unknown says: January 4, 2013 11:10:00 PM EST Reply
Can I take the digital copy of a movie/tv shows that I bought on Itunes in Mpeg-4 video file format and put it on the nabi?

Sorry if this questions was already asked but I am a bit lost."

Most iTunes files are protected by DRM restrictions, so they most likely will not work.

Thanks for this, works great. Brilliant!

Hi,

I have some videos on AVI format. They would not play on my son's Nabi. Then I downloaded a converter and changed them to MP4. I have no problem watching the converter file, but all videos seem to skip in the Nabi. It is very frustrating. The main reason I bought this tablet was to be able to play videos on the go for my son when there is not wifi available.

Can someone help?

"Takita says: January 14, 2013 at 2:54:00 PM EST Reply
Hi,

I have some videos on AVI format. They would not play on my son's Nabi. Then I downloaded a converter and changed them to MP4. I have no problem watching the converter file, but all videos seem to skip in the Nabi. It is very frustrating. The main reason I bought this tablet was to be able to play videos on the go for my son when there is not wifi available.

Can someone help?"

AVIs can be troublesome. Try MX Player which is available through the Amazon Appstore. If it works pickup the ad-free version MX Player Pro.

http://www.amazon.com/MX-Technologies-Player/dp/B008K6DU4Y

If this doesn't work, then I'd suggest converting the AVIs to MP4s.

Is there a way to connect a DVD player to the Nabi and view the DVD on the Nabi acting as the display?

Is there anyway to do this with a Macbook?

I know the question has been asked about DVD Catalyst 4 vs Ideal DVD to MP 4. Do they both have the same quality conversion and any issues with the audio sync? Also, will they work for all movies (primarily Disney)?

"Laguna Interagency Hotshots says: December 6, 2013 at 2:25:00 PM EST Reply
I know the question has been asked about DVD Catalyst 4 vs Ideal DVD to MP 4. Do they both have the same quality conversion and any issues with the audio sync? Also, will they work for all movies (primarily Disney)?"

They both work great. In recent memory I backed up Bolt using DVD Catalyst 4 with not syncing issues noticed. You can choose your quality output on both, though it is a bit easier to choose with DVD Catalyst 4.

Can't seem to get the audio to work after downloading on Ideal DVD converter v 5.2.2 - Is there a particular format it needs to be set to when downloading? There's about 4 -5 different options to choose from for Download format for MPEG 4.. So far I've tried 3 and don't get any audio from the NABI - works fine on the windows PC.. Is there a setting I need to change on the Nabi? Thoughts?

Post a Comment

nabi Tablet News

Loading...

 
9